“A Cup of Coffee Taught Me a Leadership Lesson.” By Kamal Roy

 

☕ “A Cup of Coffee Taught Me a Leadership Lesson.”

By Kamal Roy


Many times during the hotel's Morning Meeting, I noticed General Managers asking F&B teams a very simple question:

“How many types of coffee do we serve, and what makes each one different?”


Surprisingly, not everyone had a confident answer.


As an IT professional in the hospitality industry, I initially thought:

“This is not my department.”


But then I asked myself another question:

If I work in hospitality, shouldn’t I understand the very products and experiences we deliver to our guests every day?


That curiosity changed my perspective.


One day, I openly told our GM:


“I come from an IT background, but I want to learn the language of hospitality beyond technology.”


And that small conversation became a valuable learning moment.


Here’s the simplest and most practical coffee guide I learned:


☕ Coffee Types & Milk Ratios


🔹 Espresso (1:0)

100% coffee, 0% milk

Bold, pure, and intense.


🔹 Macchiato (1:1)

50% coffee, 50% milk

Strong coffee flavour with a touch of milk.


🔹 Cappuccino (1:2)

33% coffee, 67% milk

Balanced blend of coffee, milk, and foam.


🔹 Latte (1:3)

25% coffee, 75% milk

Creamy, smooth, and mild.


🔹 Flat White (1:4)

20% coffee, 80% milk

Velvety texture with a stronger coffee kick.


✨ The biggest lesson for me was not just about coffee.

It was about continuous learning.


In hospitality, no department works in isolation.

Whether you are from IT, F&B, Front Office, Sales, HR, or Engineering, understanding the guest experience makes us stronger professionals.


Sometimes, the smallest knowledge creates the biggest confidence.


📌 Never stop learning outside your own department.

📌 Curiosity is one of the most valuable skills in hospitality.

📌 Every cup served has its own identity and story.


This small note is for every hospitality professional and aspiring hotelier who wants to build stronger operational knowledge, one step at a time.


Thank you.



#Hospitality #HotelIndustry #Learning #CoffeeCulture #FNB #Leadership #ProfessionalGrowth


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Bypass Windows 30 day Activation / Product Key Requirements

🗂️ How to Fix Slow Access to Shared Folders in Windows 10 /11

Complete Guide to the Windows Shutdown Command – Explained with Easy Examples